Sunday, September 14, 2008

Meeting good people

I met good people on Friday.

In the morning, I had an interview with a head teacher of a school for special kids. She wants volunteers to help her research there. I'm interested in speech pathology so I asked her if I could help her. Unfortunately, our conditions didn't meet well. It takes one and a half hour for me to get there. Also, I need to pay $100 to check criminal records for my finger prints. And I can't get any necessary cost, including transportation fee or meals. She understood my condition and offer me to keep in touch with her and I might help her at home, such as researching good educational materials on the net or at the library and telling her. She explained their excellent education system to me using her past presentation materials. She was energetic, enthusiasm, and very sharp person. I was so glad meeting her.

After the interview, I got on B35 bus from Remsen Ave to Church Av. and Nostrand Av. Taking bus is always difficult for me. I can't catch what the driver's is saying and misses my stop often! This time I got off a few stops earlier. I got off where I thought it was my stop. I couldn't find the subway station. Got lost. I found another bus stop and asked a young woman where the subway station was. She said, "Take the but to get there or walk about 5 blocks." I said, "I just got off the bus now so I think I'll walk. Could you tell me the direction?" She said, "OK we walk!" I was so surprised. I said, "Are you walking with me?" She, "Yes, it's a good exercise! The bus might not come until we get to the station. So we can walk!"

We enjoyed walking together. I talked to her about the interview. She talked to me that she is working for an alternate high school. I told her that I just started to read a YA novel about a boy who is back from reformatory institution to high school life under a supervision. I felt so happy meeting a nice person like her after a tense time at the interview. We exchanged e-mail addresses and promised e-mailing to each other.

What a wonderful time walking with someone who I met just a minute ago!

Then I went to a Salvation Army Store in upper west side, Manhattan to get some warm clothes for the coming winter. I'm joining a choir retreat next weekend so I needed warm relaxing wear until then. My current sleeping wear is short-sleeve T-shirts and shorts. It would be not enough at an up-state place.

The labels on the clothes were varied in colors. The add on the wall said, "50% off for the pink labels!" So I looked for clothes with pink labels and found good ones! Off course, I got 50 % discount for all!

Here are what I got there.



form the left: warm pants for $3.5, a purple sweater for $2, three colored trainer for $2, black fleece full zip jacket for $3.5, and beige fleece blanket for $1.99.

A shop person was nice. He was joking around, saying, "it's $100!" or "You can't get any discount for these!" or something. He made me laugh. I told him I'm working as a volunteer so have no income and I'm really serious about this shopping. His attitude changed and stopped joking around. We had a good chat at the register and said good-bye in a very good mood in the end!

Meeting good people always makes me happy!!!

No comments: