Tuesday, May 20, 2008

strange or interesting English terms


When you say the train, it means a series of cars. Cars? People call it a car? It should be a train! It runs on a railroad, not on the street......! It sounds me strange.

For me, a conductor is a person who leads music in an orchestra. But a conductor can be a person who is in charge of a train. Interesting!

When people ask me, "You weren't there, are you?", and if he or she was correct, I have to say "No." or "No I wasn't." It's difficult for me because I agree with his or her idea. I'd be about to say "Yes, that's right!" But it's wrong. English is difficult!


Today, we talked about food over lunch. A resident started to talk about "Cream Soda". I know, I think. If I say Cream Soda in my country, it means green soda with ice cream on the top. But it's different here. She said cream soda is not contained ice cream!

Also we talked about Egg Cream. Surprisingly, it doesn't contain Egg nor Cream! See here.

My life here is always exciting because I find new things every day!

4 comments:

Louie Louie said...

I'm enjoying this posting.
As I'm learning Japanese
it's interesting to see
what you find amusing about
English. Especially the
phrase "You weren't there,
were you?" Sometimes that
even confuses me. Also strange
to me is when people say,
"Everything's OK?" when they
mean "Is everything OK?"

Oh, Cream Soda! 懐かしい!
When I was growing up in
N.Y. as a kid that was my
favorite!

Nancy C. said...

Naoko, I love your blog!

These observations are so fascinating.

I would like to say more about your Mothers Day experience when I have time.

Nancy

Naoko said...

Hi Joe,
Thank you for your comment. Learning a language is learning cultural differences. Grammar differences are also difficult. In convasation, we don't care about plural or singular. We don't have articles like "a" or "the". We say just the noun itsef. Also we don't add "s" after verb when the subject of the sentence is a third person singular. Lots of differences just about grammar.

I'm glad to know you raised up in NY! You could tell me about the city in the past. I could tell you about the citty now.

Naoko said...

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for your comment.
I have lots of impressions and observations on the subway. I have to write them down otherwise I forget!

Look forward to hearing from you about Mother's day!