Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A burial and hospital visit


I had another special experience yesterday.

A woman passed away at my nursing home last week. Usually, if family holds the funeral in some place then there is nothing we can do for the dead resident. If the family can do the funeral and asks us to be there, we would be there. If there is no family but the resident had enough money to do his or her own funeral, then there would be a funeral and some staff or residents would attend the funeral.

This time, she had family but they had no money to hold her funeral, I suppose. The body was brought to the funeral home from the hospital where she ended her life. There was a visiting time on Sunday when the coffin was opened and her family or friends could come and said good by for her. When I heard this I was afraid if she had no one seeing her there. But the funeral home staff told us that around 25 people came to see her. I thought it was great. Then I realized even she had such many people who loved her so much and came to see her all the way to the funeral home, they couldn't afford to hold the funeral for her, also they might have to work on Monday so nobody could be at her burial. Even their family passed away, they couldn't have a day off on Monday. Life is not easy.

Anyway, Pastor Ieva and I went to the funeral home in the morning. We went to the room where her body was and sing a hymn and prayed for her. The coffin was opened. I could tell from her face that she now had no pain and peaceful. After a while we took a cab to the cemetery with the funeral car.

It was my first time to be at a burial. In Japan everybody must be cremated. It's decided in law. So when we bury the dead person, it's always the ashes. For me, it was so special to see the coffin was buried. I expected I would have had a sad feeling there. But it was not. We had a small service. Just Ieva and me, the driver from the funeral home and three of the cemetery staff were there. Ieva prayed and I sang a song for her. The weather was beautiful. I was gradually feeling better to see the beautiful green there, to see the good work by the staff there. I interviewed to the staff. The longest worker has been working for 35 years! Remarkable. Such an important job there are doing for us! They seemed to be proud of their job and a kind of enjoyed doing it in a good meaning. I felt just happy to see good people and to see that we would have such a wonderful place and wonderful people in the end of our lives. Ieva took a photo of the staff and me, then I told them that I came from Japan and it was good to see them. They liked my singing and was so nice to us.

Although it was a sad event, I can say I had a good time there. Ieva and me enjoyed walking there after a while, seeing grave stones there as we were imagining each person's precious life. There are such wonderful people doing a remarkable job in each place where we usually don't pay much attention. Thank you for your great job!


On our way home, we visited the hospital to see several residents there. We made a long chat with one of them. She has a heart problem and might have to have a minor surgery to put some material in her heart to keep her heart well. She said she was scared and didn't know if she should do it or not. We prayed together handing our hands. Tear came down as I pray for her. I understood her fear. It was difficult for me to pray in English, I didn't know what to say, but I just ask for God's help..... for her.


At lunch time, on the subway, on the street, all the way I enjoyed talking with Ieva. Our conversation always goes deep and deep.... like to a mental world. I felt there is no secret between us and felt so secure with her even our relationship was just a 6-month old, and our native language is different!



*********************************
Today I had a rehearsal with the pianist for the up-coming small concert at my friend's apartment on Nov. 1st. I'm singing a duet from Bach cantata 99 with my friend, Rita. I love her voice. She has such a lovely voice. It'll be our fourth time to sing together. I'm so lucky to have her as my duet partner.



Tomorrow will be my third vocal lesson. I hope I will do better this time!
Oh it's time to go to sleep now. Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Naoko,

I can't say how beautiful your writing is! Your stories are so heartwarming, and you do such a wonderful job of describing your personal relationships. May God bless you in your work with the people who have no family or friends.

Ben Wallis

Naoko said...

Hi Ben,
Thank you very much for your comment! Since I came here, I've seen a lot of new people here and I don't know how much those people would affet my later life. I'm glad I have this blog and can record my feeling at each time and share my feeling with wonderful friends like you!