Saturday, October 4, 2008

this week

This is my 24th week being in NY.

Monday:
I had my first music class at the nursing home. After introducing each other by saying your name and your favorite color, started with warming up, rolling your shoulders slower both forward and backward, rolling your neck slowly, breathing in and out slowly as you imagine standing on a beautiful prairie, then sing with vowels in a scale little by little. Then moved to the music. I picked up "Merry Widow Waltz" for this time. First singing the melody a part by a part by vowel "A", and then read the lyrics aloud, finally we sang the song with words. Since it was a waltz, I thought we should swing! I encouraged people to swing in anyway, handing next person's hand and swing together, dancing is fine, or just swinging your arms as you sing.... everybody seemed to be enjoying the time. I was so glad to see it.

Next time will be the next Monday. I'll be doing it on first and third Mondays. I hope people find singing comfortable and fun and also hope warming exercises help their body healthy.


Tuesday:
Bible study. We had Ieva, John and Eugenia. Ieva asked everyone questions "Where are you from?" "Who are you?" Mostly their answer were their original country and their name, but some of them had unique answers, I enjoyed it and learned from them.


Wednesday:
It was off. I was going to practice choir's music but I had a headache and ear ringing and sore throat, too bad! I try not sing too much and look up words or read the words in my mind. I went to the choir rehearsal at night but couldn't sing well. It happens sometimes.

Thursday:
Ieva was away for her mother.
In the morning, I couldn't use the PC in the office because the ID and password was expired, the message said. I went to the IT staff but he was off. A recreation staff let me use her computer so I could type and print out the words for the song which I'm going to use for my next music class.

Lunch time, the main dining was closed due to the clothing sale or something. I waited at the door of the kitchen until getting my lunch but the kitchen staff seemed so busy. I went to the nearby McDonald and had McChicken, small french fry and coffee.

At chapel service time, the ministry who was supposed to come didn't show up. I called him and found he was in his apartment. He just honestly said to me, "Naoko, I'm sorry. I just totally forgot." There was nobody who could preach so I had to do something because the residents were already there waiting to start.

I asked a blind resident to give us a opening prayer which he did wonderfully. Then we sang "Precious Lord, Take My Hand." The man whose favorite song was this one, smiled at me saying the title of the song loud. I was glad to see his smile. Then I handed the mic saying, "I think everybody know Mr. xx. He always come early and set up the church for us. He is in the hospital now. Not only him there are many who is severely sick or in the hospital. I'd like you to pray for the sick people." Then two residents give us a prayer one after another. The first person is a woman who always sing a song for us but rarely pray so I was glad she did something different. The second person is a catholic Christian, her prayer was short but filled with love toward people because she herself is really a caring person.

Then we sang, "God will take care of you" After that, we read Psalm 23 out loud together followed by some solo songs.

I again apologized people, "I'm sorry we don't have anybody who can give you a preach today. I promise we are having a good service next Thursday. So we have to finish now. Anyone give us a closing prayer?" I saw a woman smiling. She always smiles. But I sensed something. She is rather shy so she rarely give some comment but I never heard her prayer. I asked her to pray. She hesitated at first. "I don't know how to do it..." she said. I didn't know how to encourage her but just I said, "Just say thank you Lord, and add your own words, anything is all right, short words is OK, anything in your mind!" Then she started "Thank you Lord...." then "Thank you for the food, thank you for our health..." I don't remember the rest of the words but she prayed beautifully. I was glad to hear that. At the back side, another woman who always sing songs in French also prayed in English. A recreation staff asked her to pray and she responded to it! I was grateful for both of them and the staff, too.

People started to leave the chapel, then I heard the French singer was singing a song, "The Old Rugged Cross" her favorite song. I started to play the song by the piano. She walked to the piano and sang it in French so I joined her singing in Japanese. We smiled at each other when we finished.

I think we had a good time, helping each other, loving each other. After all, I had a good time despite the fact that we didn't have a person who led us. Thank you, Lord.


However, it was a very energy consuming activity for me! I was totally shattered when it was finished. I went to the recreation leader's office and apologized the inconvenience. She said, "It's OK. It's fine. Anyway, are you doing your music class on Monday?" I said, "Yes! I definitely come! I'm prepared already!" "OK" She was smiling.

On my way home, actually, right after I got out of the Home, I found myself crying on the street and on the subway too. Sense of relief or just exhaustion? I don't know.... or kind of I was sad. Why was I sad? Whenever I feel the residents seem to be treated light, I mean, a kind of unimportantly, I feel sad. Maybe this time, it might not be true, but sometimes, I feel so.

I had to be absent for the choir rehearsal that night. I needed a rest.


It was another great week, I think so now.

No comments: