Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy holidays!

December is called "Shiwasu" in Japan. It means even Buddhist priests, who usually are calm and never rush, would run to make end of the year prayers and blessings to every family. Indeed, time flies in December.

I had two vocal lessons this month. I thought I improved a lot and was so glad after the second lesson. My teacher said, "Naoko, finally, I hear your true "A" vowel!" I was really happy to hear that!

I started to feel the good vibration in my voice when it goes well. I try to feel a sweet spot on each note and each vowel, sometimes it goes well and I need to spend less energy to sing. After the lesson, I tried to do it again but I couldn't do it well! Even today, I practiced singing but could do it well....... depressing!!! Life is not easy. Learning something is not easy. Mastering something is always hard!!



I had several jolly events this month!


On Christmas Eve, I attended two church services, one in my church where I sang among the choir, and another in Manhattan where my vocal teacher sang among the choir. I was not feeling well, couldn't sing well, was not happy..... However, God gave me a gift. In the end of both services, I received kind comments. At my church, a young couple before me looked back to me and said, "It was very nice having you behind us, thank you for your lovely singing!" At another church, an elderly couple before me said to me, "You have such a lovely voice! God bless you!" Wow! Although I was not in good condition, I believe I improved so I received those kind comments! Thank you very much for the Christmas gift!

At my church Christmas Eve service, the most impressive scene was the moment of "Lighting of Candles for Candles" We sang John Lennon's "Imagine" altogether. I knew this song and had loved it since I heard it first time. But it was different. This song sounded so new. Still new to me. And it was sad somehow to feel that this song was new. I imagine, when John compose this song, he wished this song would not be new any more when people sang it in 21st century. There would be no war, no conflict over religion, no poverty, no greed, no sad evens between people or countries. It was sad that this song sounded still new.


What's more, I joined a Messiah singing in event. It was great fun singing with singers I had never met before! When I sang this piece for the first time, maybe over 15 years ago, my English ability was at a beginner level. This time as I was singing it, the meaning of each word came into my heart and I was impressed both with the music and the words. It was a great experience!

On 23rd, I was invited to carol singing party at my vocal teacher's place. We sang lots of carol songs altogether. They sounded really great. I met wonderful people there. I enjoyed both talking with them and singing with them!

On 25th, I was invited to a Christmas dinner by one of the Friday night members. We had dinner at a dinner in Chelsea, Manhattan, and went to her apartment afterward. Again, I met lovely new people there and very much enjoyed talking with them!


Then..... last Sunday, it was a big day. I subbed my church organist that day. I never expected I could play the beautiful organ and the piano at my loved church in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I went to the sanctuary almost every day last week to practice. All people were very supportive to me. They came to me before the service saying, "you'll be fantastic!" "If you need any help, just wave to me, I'll be here anytime!" "Do you need any help?" ..... And after the service, people came to me again with their kind comments!


It's Monday today. I feel really relieved, finishing most of this months events. Lisa was back from her friend last night. I went to the airport to pick her up. I was really glad when I saw her at the baggage claim. We had a good time together today with her friend, Jackie. Walking on the street, found free books, went to the drug store, where I bought vitamin C and Melatonin to stay well.


There is one more event tomorrow. The Bible Study at my nursing home. I couldn't be there last week because of sickness and the organ practice. I'm glad to see my loved residents in the end of the year.

I might write more within this year but.....

Happy holidays to everyone.
I wish all of you a happy new year!!

2 comments:

Yuki Endo said...

Happy Holiday,Naoko!

Naoko said...

Hi Yuki!
Happy Holidays! Thank you for your comment. Did you have a good time over the new year?