Friday, December 12, 2008

you never know if you have tomorrow

I talked to a resident on Monday. He is over-weighted and can't go out by himself. He's been leading an inconvenient life himself. But he doesn't complain and very positive always. I like him. I often visit him when I feel down.

After the summer music workshop, I visited him and talked about my language problem I had at the workshop. He advised me to bring a recorder next time and record the conversation, then listen to it afterward. His advice is always practical and I can be positive after talking with him. I remember he was hoping to go home before summer to have a barbecue party with his friends. It never happened but he doesn't complain.


On Monday, I visited him for the first time in quite a long time. He was hospitalized for a while to have a test, and I was away for the thanksgiving or concerts....

He asked me how I was doing. I told him what I'd done since I met him last time, joining the choirs, appearing in concerts, starting vocal lessons, attending a choral conducting class and so on. He seemed so glad to hear my story.

Then he said, "you never know if you have tomorrow. Nobody knows. No matter how you are old or young. So you should do what you want to do. You shouldn't have any regret like you could have done this or that. I'm glad you are leading a good life." like that.

Yes, he is right. We never know if we have tomorrow. Tomorrow might not come to you. It reminded me of the words my another friend gave me before. "enjoy each blessing one day at a time, aware that it may be gone tomorrow."

Then I realized I've been having such fruitful days since I came here. I won't have any regret because I'm doing what I want to do.




I had my music class for the fifth time on Monday. We enjoyed singing "Silent night" and "Jingle Bells" I didn't know "Jingle Bells" was originally written for the Thanksgiving day then people liked it and was changed to a Christmas song. We borrowed various kinds of instruments from the Adult Day Health Care Center and played it as we were singing. I asked people what they like about winter or Christmas. They answered like "seeking kids delighted with the gifts", "seeing beautiful Christmas tree", "snow", "don't like winter because it's cold!" (a person from Trinidad).... We had a great time together!

I have one more music class next Monday. Which Christmas song? There are many! I have to think about it.



I'm moving to Brooklyn this coming Saturday. I started to pack things on Tuesday and realized I have lots more things than I thought! Lots of music, lots of cloths or shoes I bought at the goodwill shop or salvation army shop or I was given by my friends!

No comments: