Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lots of things going around in my mind....

Last night, I talked with my husband about my possible future.

me: What do you think what I can do next with my English? If anything is possible, being a translator, an interpreter, or.... what? Do you think I can do something new for the rest of my life? I have to tell you there is one thing I want to do using my English. I want to just talk with people, listen to people's stories!! Especially, elderly people. For example, what if I go to NY again and work as a volunteer in a nursery home or something like that. I don't know if it's possible in the current circumstances, or if I could find an institution I can work, a place to live, get working visa or anything.... But it's not productive at all, I suppose. What do you think?

he: I think, among your picks, working as a volunteer at nursery home would be suitable for you because you are good at talking with people, you are doing the same thing now, look, you've been teaching music to elderly people, or in the past you taught challenged people singing also. Everybody loves you and you seem enjoying the time with them.

me: But.... it's not a business so I can't earn any money from it. Is it OK for you?

he: You do what you like to do as long as our financial situation allows. If you are happy, I feel happy, too.

me: Oh, you're so sweet.....

The conversation went on like this.
I don't know what I can do next, but I want to think about it seriously. Even if it seems silly to do, I should do what I want to do when my circumstances allow me to do.

I'm 45 years old now and will turn 46 this year, not so young, I have to admit. I don't know how many years are left in my life. I often question myself if I can do new things over the next few years or a decade. Sometimes I feel I can't do anything new or challenging any more. Other times, I feel I should try something because not much time might be left in my life.

What can I do? What do I want to do?

Lots of things were going around in my mind all day today, on the train, on the streets, even at home.

But, that's fine, thinking about my life is important, should be a good thing to do! I hope I can reach a good answer.

No comments: