Friday, February 6, 2009

They taught me....

My husband sent me a sound file yesterday. It was a recording by the senior choir members I was teaching in Japan and currently my husband teaches them for me. They are having a performance at the city cultural festival in the beginning of February.

I was deeply impressed by their singing. It taught me a lot.
They were singing in their language, which means in MY language. Their words came into my mind so directly. Rang the bell.

I've been singing a lot of pieces since I came to NY last spring but rarely have had a chance to sing any in my language. As a result, even I would try to think of the meaning while I sing, I tend to care too much about the rhythm, melody, pitch, etc.

I'm performing a Bach duet this coming Saturday at a small concert. It's a challenging piece. I've been struggling with it and was thinking everything was going wrong with my singing..... lately. But the recording taught me that I should more care about the meaning of the piece. I should understand every word while I sing it. I'll work on it today. I'll try to make it best until the last minute.

They taught me one more important thing. They sounded so joyfully. Singing is a joy!



Whenever I get stuck, some gift would be sent to me and save me. I'm so fortunate.

No comments: