Tuesday, March 3, 2009

18th wedding anniversary

Today, March the 2nd is our 18th wedding anniversary!

We had our wedding party on March 2nd in 1991. I think about 250 people came to celebrate us, including 4 choirs we were involved in. Each group sang for us beautifully. My husband conducted for some pieces and I played the piano for several pieces in my wedding dress.

We first met in 1987 when I joined his conducting choir as an alto singer. My friend's brother was singing there and asked my friend and me to join. Actually, I was not so happy at that time so singing among the choir once a week became my joyful time. After a while, I was asked to become a pianist for another university student chorus, for which he was conducting, and I said yes. We saw each other more often and became good friends. We talked about music after the rehearsals, we thought of how we could make the sound better, how we could make the singers improve.....


After four years, we hold the wedding party and started to live together. I can't believe 22 years has gone since our first meeting!!!!

We have been good partners all the time both when we were doing music and when we were doing other things. We enjoy walking together. We love going to the library and explore our own favorite books for a while, we would go to a cafe then show each other what we got. We love spending time with our cats, just doing nothing special. We love going to the Koshien ball park to cheer up our favorite team, the Hanshin Tigers. We love traveling together both domestic trip and overseas. We love eating out together. We love talking over anything. We have never been tired of sticking together.

Now, for the past 11 months, we have been apart from each other. We had thought we would miss each other terribly, however, to our surprise, we have been enjoying being away from each other. We would chat almost every day by Google talk, we e-mail each other often. He would listen to recordings of my performances, practices, lessons, and give me his honest comments. I would read his writings and give him my comments. We feel like we are enjoying two lives in two different places together, so two times enjoyable!


I feel greatly thankful to him to let me do this staying in NY for a year experience. And I feel so happy that we are enjoying this experience "together".

This 18th wedding anniversary will be memorable for me. Thank you, Takao, for your continued warm support. I love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naoko, what a beautiful tribute to Takao!! You've written a lot of classic things on your blog, but this is the best! I wish you all the best in remaining month, and would love to see you again before you go back to Japan. Ben

Naoko said...

Dear Ben,
Thank you for your kind comment and beautiful wish from Taiwan!

I hope everything is going well with your recital there and I'm sure the audience will love your music!!

nancy said...

Naoko - What a dear glimpse into your family life! I always enjoy your poetic descriptions, and this is no exception. I feel privileged to have known you a bit, and to be reading your sweet descriptions of life in NYC.
Wish I could pop in to see you before you head "home".
Nancy in Maine

Naoko said...

Dear Nancy,
Thank you for your comment from Maine. I miss you a lot! I miss you the time we sang together. Your sweet voice and your gentle and sometimes strong character. I have so lucky to have not only wonderful family but also wonderful friends here and there.... I could say, all over the world!

I, too, do wish we could see each other, not necessarily in my stay in NY, but perhaps sometime in later stage of our lives!

Love and peace,
Naoko