Monday, March 2, 2009

another music into my memory box

There is something I do every time I finish my performance. Putting the music into my suitcase to bring it to Japan when I go back.

Today I put all of the C4 music into my memory box. The pile of the music became so high!

There will be four more performances to go. The Polyhymnia concert on March 14th, a small ensemble concert at my friend's apartment on March 21st, The Columbia Collegium Musicum in Hasse opera on April 4th, and finally The Columbia Collegium Musicum concert on March 14th. My departure date will be on April 16th.

I cannot believe I won't sing among C4 anymore. I fell like I've been with them for years although I joined them just for the past two programs. It started when I met the several members at the Western Wind workshop at Smith college last summer. I sang with three of them and was really impressed not only with their talent but also with their warm caring personalities. I thought I wouldn't able to see them again, I never imagined I could sing with them again, but to my surprise, they asked me to have an audition for C4 in the end of summer, which I had. Since then, time passed so fast. I got puzzled, struggled, and moaned to catch up with everyone. At first it was difficult for me to get the conductors instructions. I often didn't get where to start, where to put the dynamics, changes, nuances.... With my colleagues help, gradually, I became to enjoy every rehearsal very much! They are mostly much younger than me but they took care of me a lot!

I feel really lucky to be able to join them even for just a short time. I'll never forget this precious experience with them.

The last weekend concert was just wonderful. All the time I was singing, I felt we were all together, we were living in the same musical world with a great joy, including the warm audience!

In Japan, I was not so active as a choral singer. Recently I often think about what I want to do as for my choral life after going back to Japan. Am I looking for a choir I can belong to? Do I want to organize a new one by myself? Or do I do nothing with it just keep going with the elderly choir conducting as I was doing before coming here? I haven't reached the answer yet. But I'm sure this C4 experience has affected my musical life a lot not only for now but for the rest of my life.

As just a month and a few days left for me being here, I really feel, every experience,

from long-term one like working at the nursing home, joining the choir for a few months, relationship with church people, living with my loved friends for few months,

to a short term one like a wonderful meeting on the street, at the library, at a party, on the subway, the bus, even exchanging a word,

will be my precious precious memories.


My memory box, both practical one -my suitcase- and spiritual one -my heart- , will absolutely be full when I go back to Japan next month!!!

No comments: