Thursday, June 25, 2009

shine

Lately, I think of English words' sounds and find several of them beautiful.

I love the sound of "shine".
Whenever I say "shine" out loud, or even just imagine "shine" in my mind, I feel something shiny in front of me.

The "sh" sound makes everything sparkling!
Then "ai" double-vowel comes after "Sh", you open your mouth so wide, that you feel the "sh"'s shiny air is brought from your mouth into the air.
Then you close your mouth to say "n" sound as if you enjoy the shiny sound.

I think it's perfect!
It shouldn't be "dine" or "gine" or "rine" or anything but "shine"!


Am I weird to feel this? I don't know....
I want to write about the sound of one more word.

4 comments:

Louie Louie said...

I'm enjoying your comments and
feelings about English. I think
words that are originally English -
the short words, have that feeling
to them.
Maybe the same is true in Japanese
of 「大和言葉」? But I still don't
have similar feelings about Japanese
words. Maybe that will come in time.
Oh! I do like the word: とにかく

Naoko said...

it's so interesting that you like とにかく. I'm just curious how you like it. You like the sound or the meaning or what? I like Japanese echoic words. When you want to describe something shiny you may say "kira kira" (きらきら or キラキラ). We have lots of them!

Louie Louie said...

I like the sound of it. It sounds
to me like someone's name -
Tony Kaku :-)
And I like that it is one of the
words that translates almost
exactly into English - "anyway."
In English you can say things like,
"Anyway you look at it, it's cheap."
and we also can say,
"Anyway..." when we are tired of
talking about something. I think
that word is used in the same way
in Japanese.

Naoko said...

it surely sounds like somebody's name. I see your point. Yes, we use とにかく exactly the same way of "anyway". Sometimes we use Kanji characters for the word like "兎に角" maybe by only elderly people or some novelists. Thank you for sharing your favorite. So interesting!