Friday, August 15, 2008

My school of NYC!

These days, I've come to think of my experience here as I've been attending variety of classes at the school of New York City. I came here to work as a volunteer at a nursing home, but as the time has passed, unexpected wonderful opportunities happened to me. I was given a year period of time. I've been learning variety of things from variety of people here in the US.

At a supermarket, a check-out speaks extremely fast and I couldn't catch what she or he says. One day, I understand she says! "Do you want a plastic bag?" "Do you have a c-town card?" "Cash or plastic?" something like that. This Monday, the check out woman was yawning, then I said, "Are you sleepy?", she smiled at me. She gave me a discount for a few cents!

On the bus, I saw kind people. A man keep the door open until all the passengers got off. Another man just say, "After you" until all the passengers get on before him. One day, a woman said to me, "Where did you get your bag?" pointing my piggy patterned bag. I said, "In Japan" with smile. She said, "Oh, anyway, I love it!"

Yesterday, I had an audition for a choir. I went to the building and went up to the third floor, and got lost. I couldn't find the room and was just walking around the hallway several times. I found a cleaning lady and asked, "I'm looking for the room 3491 but can't find it. Can you tell me where it is?" She tried to tell me the direction, saying it is near the pantry. She asked me if I knew what the pantry is, I answered no. Then she just took me to the place. Also she told me where the lady's room was just in case. I was so impressed with her kindness.

One day (a few months ago) on the street near my nursing school, a man shouted at me (I thought he shouted but maybe he didn't) something. I couldn't catch what he said so I just ignore it. After a while I found my shoe string was untied. Then I realized what the man said to me. He was saying "Tie your shoe!!" again and again. I'm sorry, sir! I should have said "thank you" to him. He was a kind man.


I can't remember all of the episodes I have had here so far.
Everyone I meet here, and everything I meet here teaches me. I don't know what's happening to me for the rest of the time staying here, but I will appreciate everything I will meet here. This is my school. I could learn from everything, not only happy things but also unhappy ones.

No comments: