Friday, August 15, 2008

This week

On Monday, I joined the singing session for Monteverdi's Vesper led by Gwen, who was one of the faculties at the Smith II workshop. I met more than 10 people from the workshop, also a few people from the Friday singing group. It was like a reunion! I very much enjoyed singing it with everyone. I've listened to it once in Japan but it was my first time to sing it. I loved the piece. I love Monteverdi.

At the Home, we were going to watch the Mets baseball game but it was canceled due to the thundersromy weather. I felt so sad about it!!!! I hope we have another chance to go there.


On Tuesday, we had Bible study at the Home. We had a good time. I sang the "Lord's Prayer" in the end. As I was singing, I looked at everybody's face. Their faces were shining with joy. I felt happy with it.

On Wednesday, I had a good time with Ieva. We hadn't been able to have time to work together since her retirement. I had the two workshop, she went to a two-week trip between them. We felt happy to work together. We visited several residents rooms and enjoyed chatting. We had a meeting with a social worker about our new project. We want to interview our residents and record it because we think many of them have a precious memory not only for them but for this country's history. Even if their memory becomes short, they have a good day when they remember many things and are willing to talk. We went to the Story Corp. website and thought we might bring some of the residents there and record the interview or invite the mobile van to our Home some day! Ieva and me talked about many possible plans afterward at the MacDonald over ice cream. When two of us get together and talk about what we can do to make the residents lives improved, we become positive and hopeful. Our power might be small, but we could encourage others to help us, then I believe, we could do something big in the end!

On Thursday, one of the fourth floor residents went home. Her discharge schedule had been postponed several times. One time, she was happy saying she could go home soon, I felt so happy for her, then the schedule postponed, wchich made both of us sad, then she was told she could go home soon, and postponed..... Finally, she went home! I felt so happy for her, but at the same time, I felt sad because I loose her..... I'll definitely miss her. But... I should say, congratulation, Helen!

My piano student gave me a beads neckless for me. I wore it as my charm for the choir audition that night.

No comments: