Saturday, August 9, 2008

warm gift


I got a gift which couldn't be warmer from a resident at the nursing home, my piano student, yesterday.
On Tuesday, we had a Bible study time at the Adult Day Health Care Center. It was my first day back from the Smith II workshop. I had a rest on Monday so I thought I was ready for working at the Home, but I knew I was not. I entered to the pastoral care office in the morning, checked the e-mails and updated the room changes and so on. Then I suddenly felt that I didn't want to see anyone, I couldn't talk to anyone. My inner world was just not ready for communicating with anything. For the first time since I came here, I shut the door and put my face on the desk. I couldn't get up for the next two hours. The Bible study was supposed to start at 1:30, and the time came. I forced myself to go there and sat down at the piano. I just could manage myself to play the first hymn. Then the volunteer pastor, Euginia started to pray, then my piano student started to read the Scripture like: "God, make us strong, show us the way we go." something like that. The atmosphere and the Words made me cry. I don't know why. Maybe I was too tired to be normal! I was like a baby! I was so embarrassed but couldn't stop crying. The piano student and the pastor came to me one after another saying, "God will take care of you, don't worry, everything is going to be all right" I excused myself to the office and left home afterward. I felt sorry for all the people there because they like my piano and singing every time and they said they missed me last week. I wanted to be there but I couldn't.

Then, yesterday, when I got to the office in the morning, there was a plastic bag on the desk with a memo "for Naoko from XXX(piano student's name)" it was filled with her loves! An apple, an orange, cookies, a peanut bar, a chocolate bar, ginger ale, a straw, and a plastic cup. She just tried to sooth me with everything she had. I was so impressed with her warm consideration. Later on, I met her and just hugged her. She said, "I felt so sorry for you on Tuesday. You came from another part of the world, you see different culture, thoughts, and you don't have anyone to talk to. I remember my first days I came to the US. I understand your mind. You are like my daughter. I love you." My heart got filled with her loves. Thank you. Thank you for everything you've done for me.

I feel no tiredness at all. I just feel happy now!

No comments: