Tuesday, August 5, 2008

back from the Smith II workshop

I got home yesterday from the Smith II workshop. It was another very challenging experience.
I sang the following music this time:
(in random order)

"Katy Cruel" by Robert Dennis
the rhythm work killed me! but it was very enjoyable song when you make it.


"I Hide Myself" by Eric Whitacre
deep sound something like an aurora or rainbow. the lyrics sounds philosophically, and somehow fit my feeling. Yumiko joined our group to help my alto part. We became together in the end, on the stage, I felt happy about it.


"Messe De Nostre Dame -Gloria-" by Machaut
at first, I thought it would be a new time music but it was not! it was made before renaissance time! the harmony work is very interesting, and it took a long time for me to grab the music. I enjoyed my time in a practice room with this piece. Each time, I found new things and was excited with it.


"Pure Imagination" by Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley, arranged by Yumiko Matsuoka
This music is from an old movie, "Charlie and Chocolate Factory". I loved the lyrics. At first I focused on singing with particularly tenor part (Richard), and then I realized I should more focus on making a good harmony with the bass part, and things started to go better. At the final concert, while I was singing, I felt like I was in a dream world. Such a lovely song!


"Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel?" Nigro Spiritual arr. Paul Hart
Richard told us that this song should be sung with outrageous expression. In my mind, I remembered people at the nursing home. Some black people told me their hard time, their experience of being treated unfairly, I was sad to hear that, anger feeling came up to my mind, I remembered that time. One day, my piano student told me that she stopped crying one day, and instead, she started to speak out when she was treated unfairly. We should express our anger sometimes to let people know it. When I sang it, I remembered it.

One more interesting thing about this song was: we sang this song with Kayla's group on the stage. It was totally coincidence but Richard and Gayla chose the same song for the groups! I very much enjoyed singing with different group. It was a lovely time.


"Jehova, quam multi sunt hostes mei!" by Henry Purcell
Singing Purcell is not an easy job unlike it sounded. There are lots of dissonant that make me sing in a wrong key! I played the organ part by the piano again and again as I sang my part. My joy was that Gwen (the organist for us) let me play the lovely box organ during lunch break one day. It sounded so lovely that I started to be in the music deeply and enjoy singing it from the bottom of my heart. The interaction between each part is really beautiful in this piece.


"a Felix de Nobel I. O Magnum Mysterium" by Francis Poulenc
Poulenc became one of my favorite composer since I sang his piece at the last workshop. This piece is also lovely. It sounds variously, sometimes sadly, shimmery, deeply, spiritually, it reaches into the bottom of your heart.


"Hosanna to the Son of David" by Thomas Weelkes
It was my first time to sing Weelkes music. It is a gorgeous and spiritual song, makes people look up to the highest place.


"Talismane" by Robert Schumann
This is the large group piece conducted by Richard. When I sang this song, my voice came out naturally I felt no stress singing it. It was a really great piece. This music make people sing! Great amount of energy just comes out from you without recognizing it!


"Questi vaghi concenti" by Claudio Monteverdi
I particularly enjoyed singing with our soprano singer, Franny. There were several part for us to interact with each other. When I was singing, I felt like there was another me next to me. Such a happy time!

"Janger" (Traditional Balinese) arr. Budi Susanto Yohanes
It's a rhythm work and a playing time! We sang it at the final concert for the weekend course. I loved it!


"The Lake Isle of Innisfree" by julie Dolphin
This was a large group piece for the weekend conducted by Kristina. It is a truly beautiful world. Sounds spreading like beyond the end of the earth! It was my happiest time for me singing it through the weekend.


"Ticket To Ride" by John Lennon and Paul McCartney arr. Alexander L'Estrange
Beatles! This is the only song I knew through the two workshops! Laura joined my also part helped me. At first I felt weak but I enjoyed singing it in the end.


"Salve Regina" by Claudio Monteverdi
I sang this trio at the Continuo concert with Franny and Jeff. I couldn't sang it well but loved it very much.


"Ave, Regina Coelorum" by Giovanni Felice Sances
I was asked to join this trio for the also part just one day before the concert. It turned out to be my favorite performance through this time. I was glad to sing with Steve and Bruce. They taught me about the Latin lyrics and I gave them my suggestion about the tempo change and articulation. We exchanged our ideas and nurtured our music. We had a good time and enjoyed our performance on the stage!

No comments: