Monday, June 30, 2008

The third day at the workshop

It was sunny this morning, no mist at all. I enjoyed the clear sky and lots of green on my way to the dining hall, of course through the botanic garden. It smelled very beautiful in the morning, like a soothing aroma.

Before the morning session, I went to the practice room and enjoyed play with the Steinway piano. I love the sound!

At the morning session, I knew one of our members left because she got sick. It was very sad news. I hope she gets well soon. I know she is an excellent soprano singer and very much enjoyed singing with her. I was very sorry about it. Anyway, we had to decide what we were going to sing at the weekend course's final concert. We read several songs and chose 6 songs.

It was again very challenging for me mostly because of the language..... Yesterday, I had time to practice by myself both after lunch and dinner. Today, we had a concert in the afternoon. So not enough time to match the note and language. Anyway, I did my best and everybody helped me as always. I'm so glad I have wonderful members in my group. It's been a very special opportunity to sing in an ensemble, where just one person sing for one part. It's challenging but also rewarding and worth doing it! I could feel eveybody's music spirit while I was singing. Such a precious time. Hopefully, I want to join their discussion more for the next time, so I have to learn lots about music. It should be fun!

Before the concert, I talked with Julia, who is a high school student participant. I met her and her parents soon after I came here. We are in different generations but have mutual feeling as first time participants. We shared our nervous feeling each other ,encouraged each other, and promised to pray for each other's good luck at the performance. It was a really good time. She had a lovely voice. I'm sure she is going to be a good singer!

At the concert, I was totally messed up and stopped music not only one time but.... several times! But none of them blamed me, which made me so moved. I cried after the performance maybe because of a sense of relief, gratitude, regret.... mixed with everything. I was impressed with every groups' performances. They have done various kinds of pieces almost all were new to me. It was just a gorgeous time to be there and enjoyed their harmony and wonderful team work after a lot of efforts.

Julia approached me later and we hugged each other as we were crying. She made it and I did my best, which should be wonderful!


Ok, it finished!

At dinner time, I had two pieces of cheese cakes and an ice cream bar. My body just needed sweets. And I'm sure you'll be surprised later....

After dinner, I went to a movie, titled "Young@heart". I really wanted to see the movie so I was glad to have a chance to see it. The director and one of the senior members of the Young@heart were on Brian's show a few weeks ago. I saw their YouTube clip and was impressed with it. The movie was very very touching. I didn't know that but the group is founded here, Northamton, it's a local group here. Also it reminded me of the members of my senior choir in Japan. I remember, when I told them I was going to NY to work as a volunteer for one year, they all agreed with my idea, but one member came up to me afterward and said, "I'm glad you made your dream come true, but I'm not conficent if I'm still alive or not when you are back...." and started to cry..... It made me so sad. I just could said to her, "Please please be well and wait for me, OK? Promise me!" I really hope she stays healthy until I go back to Japan next April.


Also it reminded me of one more thing. Since I came here, four residents passed away at the nursing home. One of them had no family so Ieva, the pastor, did the funeral. We went there with several residents in a wheel chair. There was no family except us. We talked about her memory and sang hymns for her. Her face was so beautiful being freed from pain, and struggling. It made me think a lot.

The nursing home staff has asked me to do some kind of music activity there. The movie very much inspired me.


Oh I have to admit, I went to a ice cream shop after the movie with people who saw the movie, and .... went there again one hour later with all of my group members! ummmm..... too much sweets, I know! Should be careful. But it was so much fun!


Good night from Smith!

No comments: