Sunday, November 2, 2008

A meeting at the library

I love the atmosphere at the library. Quiet and peaceful, the librarian are helpful and seem enjoying their job. Last Wednesday, before the vocal lesson, I had time so went to the nearby library. It became my ritual.

When I go to the library, mostly I end up at the young-adult section. I love books for young people, especially the ones for youngsters who struggling with their lives by parents' divorce, discrimination, knowing love for the first time, life adventures.... and so on. I also struggled with my own life when I was young by various reasons, not knowing whether or not my father was alive, my mother's changeable boy friends, having to cook and have almost every meal by myself since I was 10, living away from my mom at the age of 1-10, a difficult relationship with my mother since after living with her. I was saved by people around me. But I assume there are lots of young people who need help right now without having anyone to save them. Even if they seem happy even with smile, they may hide their feeling inside because they don't want to make anyone worry about them or they don't want reveal their family problem, they may think it's normal because they don't know the outside world, others' situation. They might want to think of their family normal and then want to be peaceful although it isa false.

One of my dreams is becoming a translator for English young-adult novels. I want to introduce good English novels to Japanese younger people and encourage them, saying they are not alone, there are many many young people in the world who have similar problems as you. You don't have to worry. If you survive now, as time goes by, a bright light would wait for you with open arms, I want to convey the message by translating good novels for them.


Oh, I went off the track!!
When I was looking at the young-adult novel section on Wednesday, a woman in her late 30's started to talk to me, saying, "Hi, you know, I'm not good at reading. But I know I should read. I want to read. But I can't go on reading. I stop reading every time. Is it a section for youth? That's why I'm here. I thought it's easier for me to read on if I choose one of these books here. But I don't know which one is good for me."

I was so surprised to be talked suddenly. She had a Latino accent. And seemed serious. So I said to her, "I understand. I'm learning English, too. My first language is not English so. Do you like young girl's love stories? Or self-development stories? If so, I have a recommendation for you. I'll show you my favorite author." I took her "W" shelf. My favorite author since I came here is Ellen Wittlinger. I've read five books by her and liked all of them. Her book is not so deadly serious, full of happiness and jokes, but always touches deep issues casually. I like her approach. I recommended one of her book "ZigZag" for the woman. I explained the story and she seemed to like it and said " I think I check out this. I'll check out just one book, you know. And want to read it through." I hope she likes it and finishes reading!

After that, I had a weird feeling. I was like a librarian! Although I'm not an English speaking person, I recommended an English book to a woman who was looking for an easy reading book! It that great, isn't it? I felt happy both for me and for her!


The following is the books I've read since I came here:

1. "Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life" by Wendy Mass

2. "A Mongo-shaped Space" by Wendy Mass

3. "Olive's Ocean" by Kevin Henkes

4." Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks

5. "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch 

6. "Freddy Plays Football" by Walter R. Brooks

7. "The NPR Classical Music Companion" by Miles Hoffman

8. "Razzle" by Ellen Wittlinger

9. "Zigzag" by Ellen Wittlinger

10. "A Long Way From Chicago" by Richard Peck

11. "A Year Down Yonder" by Richard Peck

12. "Twisted" by Laurie Halse Anderson

13. "Sandpiper" by Ellen Wittlinger

14. "Soon and very soon" by Sherryle Kiser Jackson

15. "Sold" by Patricia McCormick

16. "Parrotfish" by Ellen Wittlinger

17 . "Hard Love" by Ellen Wittlinger


And now I started to read "The Rules of Survival" by Nancy Werlin. It's about three children who have an evil mother and survives their life by getting a clue from their mother's boyfriend, who later broke up with the mother and became an ex-boyfriend, Murdoch. I'm enjoying the book very much.

2 comments:

Louie Louie said...

Amazing story! I loved it!

Naoko said...

thank you, Joe!
I'm glad you liked it!