Thursday, November 27, 2008

Two concerts finished!

The C4 concert went beautifully. It was not perfect, of course. But I enjoyed the time a lot. When I started to join the choir, I just thought I never could have done that. All people were better than me.... and...... But as I continue to join them, I got more comfortable being there, singing with them, because people are nice and caring all the time. I often got lost during the rehearsal where to start or what the conductor said. They helped me a lot. And I could be there in the concert. Ten of my friends came over to listen to us despite the extremely cold weather!!

The next concert will be in February. I look forward to meet new pieces next month and tackling with them with my loved colleagues!!!



Another concert was held at St. Paul Chapel, Columbia University, last night. It was a lovely place to perform. We had a very warm audience. I think our performance went very well, I should say the performance we had ever made!!


The program was all Heinlich schutz. I didn't know the composer when we started our rehearsal in September. OK, I will tell you from the start. I met Ray at the Smith workshop this summer. After a while he got in touch with me and encouraged me to join the choir. This choir is run by the university so the members consist of mostly the students, undergraduates and graduates. Only 4-5 among 26 singers are from outside. I had an audition at the beginning of September. I met the conductor, Amber, for the first time and loved her right away. I was told I was accepted as a member on the spot. I was delighted to hear it.


We had rehearsals two times a week, Mondays and Wednesdays. I thought it would be too much, but it actually wasn't. The pieces were tough and we needed a certain amount of time to get used it. I didn't know anyone except Ray at first. As I spent more time there, I got to know more people and people knew me also.

At the concert yesterday, as I was singing, I felt like they, especially my alto colleagues, were like my daughters or younger sisters. We hugged them before the performance and after that. One of the singers told me that I made them together. What a wonderful comment she gave me! I love choral singing. We have to be united as a choir, so not only we need musical skills but also we need communication skills and need to care what other people are doing. We are not alone. We are together. I love that kind of feeling.

Sometimes, being with somebody makes you tired, I have to admit. However, when you spend too much time being alone, you would definitely feel you miss warm and close relationship with somebody. As I live here by myself, singing among two choirs and meeting same people regularly makes me feel at home somehow.


Many of the singers invited their family there. I had no family to invite here. But I was delighted to see the faces of my precious friends in the audience. Seven people from the Friday night singing group were there, Lisa and Jonathan were there, my neighbor was there.....!!! I felt as if they were my family. I didn't feel lonely. I just thanked them again and again in my mind. I'm so lucky to have those wonderful people around me here and there.


I have many places where I feel at home, at my nursing home, at church, at Friday night group, at choirs' rehearsals, and one more place would be my closest friend, Lisa's place! Now I'm at her place and using her computer! We are driving all the way to Philadelphia tomorrow morning to visit her sister. Now Lisa is making delicious pies. I very much look forward to seeing new people tomorrow and also having my first and possibly the only Thanksgiving day experience.

No comments: