Thursday, April 7, 2011

Concert for Japan @ Japan Society in NY

My friend, Sig, told me about this event and I love it! I wish I could attend it!!
There will be a 12-hour concert presented by Japan Society in Manhattan, NY this coming Saturday. And the benefit will directly be spent to help people affected by the earthquake and tsunamis. The guests include Ryuichi Sakamoto and Japanese traditional music players and more!

There also be various kinds of special activities for all ages, such as Origami or Washi Lantern.

And what is wonderful for me, as well as people living far from the place, is this entire concert will broadcast live via U-Stream.

For those who live in NY area, you should go there this Saturday, April 9, 11 AM — 11 PM!!


You can also enjoy some Japanese food some for free-sampling, other for purchase.

For more information, visit their website:
CONCERT for JAPAN



This Japan Society is one of the most memorable places in NY for me.
During my three months stay for learning English in NY in 2005, my favorite radio show on WNYC, the Brian Lehrer Show held the live recording event at Japan Society featured Asian countries. I joined the event, sitting very nervous because my English ability was very limited at that time and everybody except me sitting there seemed native English speakers.  Then I made a good friend there and she became my special friend till now!  Kayla sat next to me and we started to chat at the interval time and exchanged phone numbers after the event and promised to see each other again during my stay in NY.  We had a date after a few weeks.  After buying coffee and sandwich, we went to the Central Park and talked and talked!  She told me about her volunteer trip to India and how she felt isolated there because she couldn't speak the native language. She said she understood my feeling a bit and I was glad to hear that.  In the end of the stay, when my husband came from Japan to join me, she invited two of us and we had lunch together.

After coming back to Japan, we kept in touch with each other via e-mail, became pen-pals!

Then during my year-long stay in NY in 2008, we went to the musical "Hair" @ Central park together. We enjoyed walking along the river, enjoyed eating together and so on.

Japan Society is a special place because it brought me a wonderful friend!
I hope a lot of people be there not only to enjoy the concert and activities but also to help the people who are affected by the earthquake and tsunamis hit in our country on March 11th.


I felt much better this morning and no private student came so practiced and practiced almost all day! I had a good day.  Tomorrow will be a better day for all people, I hope.

Good night from Osaka, Japan!

Naoko

No comments: