Tuesday, April 12, 2011

a phone call from my NY mother

When I was having a lesson with my private vocal student this morning, the phone rang. I picked it up anyway and said "moshi moshi? (hello? in Japanese)", the call said "hello?", then I thought it was an international call, I said "hello?" then it said "Is it Naoko?", oh I know this voice, I thought, then I said "Yes, I'm Naoko. Who is it?", it said "This is Dynah speaking from Brooklyn.!"

Oh my Goodness! I said "Dynah? Is it you? What a surprise!!!"
I had to ask her to call me again a few minutes later.  She said she would call me again ten minutes later then we hang up.

After my student left, I looked for her cell number which she gave me when I left NY in 2009. Yes, I met her in Brooklyn, NY.  I stayed in NY for a year in 2008-2009 to work as a volunteer at a nursing home in Brooklyn.  Our first meeting was on my first day at the Home. I was really nervous and was actually upset to find that I really couldn't understand what the people were saying. Although most of them spoke English,  they spoke with strong accents which were vary depending on which part of the world they were from.  Pastor Ieva encouraged me to have lunch with some of the residents, Dynah was one of the residents I had lunch with.  Honestly, I couldn't understand most of her English then.  She was from Trinidad. She is really intelligent but her sound was not familiar to me, that was it.  I bet my Japanese English must have been difficult for her, too.  We anyway made some conversation, had a good time together.

Dynah gradually became my NY mother to me.  She cared me a lot, she loved me a lot, she sometimes gave me a lecture when I had some trouble.  She always had a good story to tell me and I really loved hearing her stories! Her primary dream was to build a school for kids in her homeland but she got ill in the US so couldn't make her dream come true. Instead, she became like a mother or a good teacher to everyone at the nursing home.  She knows everything about the Bible.  She organized her Bible study meeting at the Home.  Whenever somebody got in trouble, she cared that person, kept her quota cookies or fruits and gave them to him/her for an encouragement gift. She did the same to me.  Whenever I cried, she invited me to her room and gave me sweets, fruits, or peanuts.  When I made myself too polite to everyone with my big smile, she invited me to her room and said, "Naoko, you are too nice to men.  Please keep this in your mind that men might misunderstand you that if you love them.  You have to keep a distance from men otherwise you might get some trouble! I'm telling you for your sake, Naoko." like this...  When I was alone at the church service because all of the other volunteer service-makers were absent, I was so nervous and cried then couldn't make myself go on.  It was she who helped me by singing Hyms loudly to encourage me or to fill the time, or said her prayer, or read the scripture for me.  She was always there to help me.

I invited her to my choir concert twice.  Ieva, Togu, and Eugenia took her there.  One time we went to a cafe after the concert and had a wonderful time.

When I visited the nursing home for the last time of my stay to say good-bye to her, she prayed like "God I know this might be the last time I can see Naoko. We might not be able to see each other again.... " she prayed with running tears.  I was really sad to see her crying. I remember the scene so clearly.

After getting home, I tried to get in touch with her several times, by sending post cards or by leaving a message on her cell phone, and I know she tried to reach me several times but we failed and failed, I think because of the time difference and also because of the inconvenient environment where she lives. We were getting to be away from each other.  But I never ever forgot about her.  The loving time we had together, her kindness, her wonderful stories, her lovely personality.

Just beside my piano I put dozens of photos on the wall so that I can see the faces while I practice the piano every day so that I remember each one of the wonderful friends.  Dynah's photo is also on the wall.

OK, I'll get back to this story.  I looked for her cell number and got it!
I called her and she picked it up.  We talked to each other on the phone for the first time since I left NY.  How wonderful we now can stay in touch!  She said she is well and pretty much the same when I left her, that was good news to me.  Some of the residents I know passed away she told me.  I said "Dynah, hang in there!  I will save the budget and will be seeing you again, maybe not this year but can be next year or so.  I will definitely try to see you again!"  When I realized, I said so!  I strongly felt that I had to see her again.  She was worried about me because of this mega earthquake hitting Japan a month ago.  I thought how happy I was to have a wonderful NY mother like her.

Life is short.  Life is unpredictable.  You got to enjoy your life.  You got to do what you want while you live.  These are what I learned from this tragedy.

I want to see her.  I want to see my friends in NY.  Maybe I can make it if I try hard to make this true, right? Life is short.  Life is unpredictable, beyond any calculation.

Dynah told me on the phone again and again that she loves me a lot and I'm her dearest daughter and the memory we made together at the Home was her treasure.  Same here, Dynah.  I love you, too, you are my dear, too, I said to her on the phone.

We had a wonderful time. And the phone call made my day!!


We promised to stay in touch.  She promised she would call me again when she can afford to do it.  I will call her again when I can make it and also I will send her post cards because now I know she god the previously sent cards safely and cherish them!

Thank you, Dynah, to make me so happy today!

No comments: