Monday, July 21, 2008

I hate the weekend subway!

Yesterday, I had a good time with my friend who is visiting NY from Japan with her parents. We met at the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle, then had lunch at food court in Whole Foods supermarket. I love the place and I was glad that she loved the place very much! After lunch we took bus to 34th St. then enjoyed shopping at H&M, Conways, Payless shoes, Jack dollar shop, and so on. Although we bought just a few things, we very much enjoyed the time to look around things together.

Actually, I've had sore throat since Friday. So I had a rest Saturday night, not singing, not playing the piano, but just reading a book and doing the imagination training. The imagination training is reading music and playing the small keyboard as I lay down on the bed. For example, I look at the melody with out playing the key, and imagine the note in my brain, then play the key, if I was correct, then look at the next note and imagine the note in my brain and play the key.... like that. I think it helps to improve my sight reading ability. It'd be a good preparation for the next workshop!


This morning, I left home around 7:30 to get church earlier than usual. The women chorus piece's rehearsal was supposed to start 9:15, which was 15 minutes earlier than the whole choir's rehearsal, but I wanted to get there even earlier than that because I was supposed to play two pieces of piano music at the service. Also I was afraid of weekend crazy subway schedule. So I was going to have breakfast near church, I thought, maybe I could arrived there 8:30 or so.

I headed to the A line station first, which took me 10 minutes. There are two stations near my apartments, A line and NO 1 line, No 1 line station is closer but A line is convenient with the connection. I arrived to the A line station and knew, weekend A downtown train skip the station! I headed back to No 1 line station, which took me another ten minutes walk! Then I made two time connection to get my church. When I arrived at the church it was already 9:10! I had no time to have breakfast. I just bought corn bread at nearby deli and had a little of it as I walked to the church or on the train after the service. I felt like being a New Yorker!


As for my piano playing, it went quite well, I believe. I am thankful to be given this opportunity. My fingers were trembling when I started to play the prelude, also my heart was pounding all the time, but I felt so happy to be able to share the music with people I love!

No comments: