Thursday, July 3, 2008

such a memorable birthday!

Today, I became 46 years old. I believe I'm still young and try to do new things for the rest of my life. Some people who I told that today was my birthday celebrated to me. I couldn't be happier!

On the second day of our group, we had a new member and had done new songs. I've done many many songs since I came here and all of them have been completely new to me. So I've been impressed with variety of beautiful chorus music! Now I'm not belonging to any choir in Japan, just teaching singing a senior choir where we do just simple Japanese songs. So this workshop inspires me a lot. I've recognized how I love music.

In the seminar tonight, our group done 5 pieces among which I sang 4 songs, "Selig sind die Toten" by Heinrich Schutz, "Io Piango" by Marten Lauridsen, "Magnificat tercii toni" by Gilles Binchois, "Vinea mea electa" by Francis Poulenc.

The facilitator, Christina, is a really great moderator. She is there when we need her. She doesn't intervene us very much. Just let us do it, then when the time comes, she explained things so clearly and imaginatively! Also she suggested me how to control low notes, or what kind of tone I should use in particular music. I can't carry out what she is saying at once but it helped me a lot. After the afternoon rehearsal, I spent 2 hours at my favorite place, the piano practice room, and confirmed the pronunciation, the melody, and the harmony. Playing all part by the piano, I realized that all of our pieces had very tricky harmony but at the same time very very rainbowful, I mean so colorful, when it works well. I gradually fell into love with every piece and started to feel comfortable with singing it. It was not enough but I did my best anyway. Then at night we had a seminar, where everyone presented the past two day's works get suggestion from the faculties.

I was so impressed with every group's music. They expressed truly love toward music. I saw their beautiful spirits. It was wonderful time! Their faces were shining after having done really challenging pieces.

We are polishing our music and are having a final concert on Saturday.

I'm slow at everything. Every time we finish the rehearsal I would be the last one who leave the place. Also, I need time to get music right. Until I finish confirm each word's pronunciation and harmony, my voice doesn't come out smoothly. I want to be a quick reader. I need to work harder. But it's my personality, might be OK. After our performance, I was filled with music and so exhausted! I don't know what's happening for the rest of the week. I hope I can improve my music in any ways!

Now I think I really should go to bed! Sleepy!
Good night, everyone!

2 comments:

Lisa W said...

My precious friend,
I just read your whole Smith experience -- I did not expect you to post while you were there! What a joyful surprise for me to be able to "be" there with you! I'm so sorry for your sadness, but certainly the joy outweighs your difficulties. And what I know is that you draw people to you, they love you and want to do whatever helps you, so I urge you to speak up and say what you need. You will get it because people do love you very much, even if they just met you! I know this!
It all sounds so wonderful, absolutely like a dream, to be with so many kind, loving people who just love music and love singing. What a total joy for you.
Happy, happy birthday my dear Naoko! I hope you had some more ice cream and cake to celebrate! But not as much as the movie night! I can't wait to see you.
Love,
Lisa

Naoko said...

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your heartful words as always. i read your comment at Smith and was so touched and encouraged. Yes, in the end, my joy outweighed my difficulties, you were right! People helped me, supported me, and encouraged me a lot. I can't wait to see you and talk with you! I have a lot to talk to you!

Naoko